Check your change!
Is the money in your pocket made with help of a cluster munition producer?
The South Korean company Poongsan is a major player on the European and global markets for the production of coin blanks. National mints (manufacturer of coins) use these blanks for the production of their coins. However Poongsan is also a known producer of cluster munitions.
We need all mints, especially from from countries that have joined the Convention on Cluster Munitions, to exclude Poongsan as a supplier of coin blanks: as long as Poongsan remains involved with the production of cluster munitions, it is not an acceptable business partner.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Here are a few actions you can take to help:
- Check the fact sheet and find out if your country is linked to buying coin blanks from Poongsan.
- If that is the case, write them a letter (see below for template letters) and contact them via social media, to ask for clarity about their relations with Poongsan.
- Engage the media in your country.
- Speak out on social media and share our infographic on Facebook or Twitter
- Write a letter to the European Mint Director’s Working Group, urging them to remove Poongsan from its suppliers list.
- Write a letter to Poongsan, urging it to end its involvement with cluster munitions, or sign the letter the CMC and PAX will be sending to Poongsan (send Firoz a message if you would like to sign the letter).
- Join the webinar with the CMC and PAX to receive more information and background to the story on Wednesday 18 January at 15.00 PM CET. Drop a line to Firoz if you want to participate.
- Fact sheet
- Tv show about Poongsan & European Mints (for english subtitles click the icon in the bottom right corner)
- Ideas for social media
- Infographic for Facebook and Twitter
- Contact details of the mints
- Information about Poongsan's involvement with cluster munitions from the report 'Worldwide Investments in Cluster Munitions' 2016
- Template letter to mints from countries that have joined the CCM
- Template letter to mints from non-CCM countries
- Template letter to the European Mint Directors Working Group
- Template letter to Poongsan